The college life and community focuses around our beliefs
We believe that a safe, inclusive, meaningful learning environment provides the ideal conditions for enhancing student achievement and success.
We believe that each student can learn; we focus on how students learn; and we are dedicated to assisting each child to reach their potential and to realise life-goals and ambitions.
We believe that our role is to educate students to become active, responsible, critically-aware citizens.
We believe that eagerness to learn and commitment to the process are positively related to the benefits gained from learning.
We believe in the value of collaboration and life-long learning.
As a leadership team…
We dedicate ourselves to the process of connecting the whole school community to achieve a shared vision.
We work collaboratively to build a positive teaching and learning environment by valuing and supporting staff to ensure the improvement of student outcomes.
We choose to commit to the provision of an effective and supportive working environment underpinned by quality communications and decision making processes.
We value the development of significant relationships, within the college and the wider community based on honesty, transparency and trust.
Important Information for Students
Ways to be Successful
- To use your diary and study planner effectively, it is important to develop a system. The following suggestions may assist you:
- Take your diary to every class
- Use your diary in all your classes
- Plan your time carefully
- Enter all relevant information in your diary
- Check your diary entries each morning and night
- Mark off entries when completed.
- Use highlighter to show important dates such as tests etc.
- Always bring what you need
- Hand in assignments and homework on time
- Attend all classes, every day
Success through Goal Setting
Goal-setting is about being clear about what you need to do to achieve something. It might sound like a bit of a pain, but research has shown that setting goals is a great way to achieve the things you want to do.
- To succeed you need to know what you are trying to achieve.
- To work out what is important.
- To take responsibility for your learning.
- To work out weaknesses and develop strategies to improve in these areas.
- To realise strengths and develop them further.
learn how to evaluate your own activities.
So you know when to reward yourself for achieving your goal.
Parents can help by:
- Provide suitable environment of home study
- Sitting down for five minutes to get homework underway, discussing the work and generally showing an interest
- Insisting on a high standard of neatness in all subject areas
- Providing firm support to follow a set study plan (thus helping the student to avoid overloading on any one night).
- Regulating the internet, TV, telephone and leisure time sensibly
- Providing resources (e.g. obtaining books, encouraging the use of the library).
- Maintaining telephone, written or personal contact with Southern River SHS staff